Share this story:

News Release

Disorder at Newcastle's Irish Centre

Dated: 05 Dec 2011

Disorder at Newcastles Irish Centre

Nine people involved in disorder at Newcastle's Irish Centre have been sentenced for their part in the incident.

It happened at 6.45pm on Wednesday September 22, 2010, at The Irish Club on Stowell Street, when police received information about public disorder in the area. On arrival the disorder had dispersed.

Nine people - Barry Keddy, 33, Anthony Burn, 48, Michael Garriock, 23, Peter Duffy, 44, Alan Spence, 46, Steven Spence, 27, Colin Bell, 36, Paul Starr, 45, and Colin Burton, 28 - today appeared at Newcastle Crown Court for sentence.

Burn previously pleaded guilty to a public order offence, while the rest previously pleaded guilty to affray.

Images of the men sentenced for their part in the incident at Newcastles Irish Centre.

On Friday, December 2, Duffy was jailed for 10 months, Keddy, Garriock and Steven Spence for eight months, and Alan Spence and Burton for seven months.

Burn and Bell were both given three month sentences, suspended for 12 months, while Starr was given four months, suspended for 12 months.

A tenth person, Nicholas Mills, 25, who had previously pleaded guilty to a public order offence, had his case adjourned to be sentenced at a later date.

Video of incident:

DS Rob Ridley led what has been a lengthy and thorough enquiry. He said: "I'm pleased these ten have been sentenced for their part in this incident.

"They all stormed into the Irish Centre, scuffled with two people inside and then left. As a big crowd it was intimidating and it has been a lengthy enquiry to identify those involved and get them to this stage.

"There's no place for any kind of violent conduct, threatening or intimidating behaviour in Newcastle and we'll always do all we can to get those involved before the courts.

"I hope this sends out the message to others that we take this sort of offending extremely seriously and anyone involved can expect to be dealt with robustly by police."