Advice to motorists
Dated: 27 Oct 2012
Northumbria Police is advising road users to take additional care on the region's roads in the adverse weather conditions.
Motorists should be alert to the dangers of standing water on the region's roads, for snow on higher ground and for icy patches over night.
Northumbria Police is advising motorists to exercise caution and remember the following advice for driving in wintry conditions:
- Moderate your speed to match the conditions but try not to brake sharply, use the gears instead to decelerate
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front - stopping distances are longer on wet or icy roads
- Ensure you have adequate visibility by clearing front and back windscreens and all windows/wing mirrors before setting off
- Keep your windscreen washer bottle topped up, with the addition of winter screen wash
- Clean your headlights front and rear before driving and use dipped headlights when driving in poor visibility, including heavy rain as well as snow
- Be alert for pedestrians walking on roads when footpaths are too snowy or icy to use.