News

Murder investigation update

Dated: 23 Dec 2012

David Arthur Charlton[View Full Size]

24/12/12 1.30pm update

This is an update to previous messages about a murder in South Shields, which happened on Friday night, December 21. Keith Honeyman, 19, of Alice Street in South Shields, and a 15-year-old male youth from the South Shields area, have both been charged with murder. They are due to appear at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, December 26.
DCI Paul Young said: "I'd like to thank the community for their swift response and for coming forward with information in relation to this investigation."

23/12/12 1pm update

 A second man has been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. Enquiries are ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

23/12/12 11am update

Police continue to appeal for witnesses after a man was stabbed to death in South Tyneside.

A 31 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody.

Police have also released a photograph of the deceased - David Arthur Charlton, 25, from the South Shields area - to help urge anyone who may have witnessed anything to come forward.

At 10.36pm on Friday, December 21, police received a report of man with stab wounds at the junction of Stanhope Road and Boldon Lane in South Shields. The 25 year-old man was taken to South Tyneside Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

At this stage, it appears the man had left Last Orders public house with his girlfriend when two youths walking in the opposite direction made comments towards them.

A verbal altercation then took place and the two youths assaulted him, inflicting stab wounds.

DCI Paul Young, from Northumbria Police's Major Crime Team, said: "We continue to urge anyone to come forward with information which could help police with this investigation.

“We have released a photo of David in the hope it will urge people to come forward with any information.

“We have arrested a man who remains in custody but we do continue to appeal for information in connection with this incident.
 
"A young man has lost his life and we are carrying out extensive enquiries to establish what happened and who is responsible. This includes checking CCTV in the area, speaking with witnesses and carrying out searches of the scene and surrounding area.
 
"People don't need to give their name, they can contact us anonymously, but I'd urge people to call us at the earliest opportunity."

Chief Inspector Brian Walker, from South Tyneside Area Command, said: "We have extra officers on patrol to reassure the community and we are here to listen to any concerns you may have.

“There is no place for such violent behaviour on the streets of South Tyneside and Northumbria and a specialised team of detectives is piecing together all the information available to establish the circumstances. “

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

 

23/12/12 Update 1.15am

Police can confirm that one man has been arrested and is helping police with enquiries.

Enquiries are still ongoing and anyone with any information or who hasn't spoken to police yet should call them on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

22/12/12 Update 3.30pm

The victim can now be named as David Arthur Charlton, 25, from the South Shields area.

Police continue to appeal for anyone with information to contact them on 101 or by ringing Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

All information will be treated with the strictest confidence if necessary.

22/12/12 Update 11.10am

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was stabbed in South Tyneside.

At 10.36pm last night, Friday, December 21, police received a report that a man had been stabbed.

Officers attended the scene - at the junction of Stanhope Road and Boldon Lane in South Shields - where the 25-year-old man was found with stab wounds. He was taken to South Tyneside Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A murder investigation has been launched.

At this stage, it appears the man, who is local to the area, had left Last Orders public house with his girlfriend when two youths walking in the opposite direction made comments towards them.

A verbal altercation then took place and the two youths assaulted him, inflicting stab wounds. A post mortem will take place later today.

DCI Paul Young, from Northumbria Police's Major Crime Team, said: "It appears the man was walking along the street following a social night out and was involved in this incident with two youths who then assaulted him.

"A young man has lost his life and we are carrying out extensive enquiries to establish what happened and who is responsible. This includes checking CCTV in the area, speaking with witnesses and carrying out searches of the scene and surrounding area.

"I'd appeal for anyone who witnessed the incident or who has information about the people responsible to get in touch with police as soon as possible.

"Specifically, it's possible the weapon, which we believe to be a knife, and some clothing, may have been discarded in the vicinity and anyone who sees anything at all which is suspicious or out of place should contact us.

"I'm making a direct appeal to the public - someone must know who the people responsible are, people don't need to give their name, they can contact us anonymously, but I'd urge people to call us at the earliest opportunity."

Chief Inspector Michael Barton, from South Tyneside Area Command, said: "We understand this incident has caused concern to the community and we've got extra officers on patrol to reassure people that everything is being done to trace the people involved.

"There is no place for such violent behaviour on the streets of South Tyneside and Northumbria and a specialised team of detectives is piecing together all the information available to establish the circumstances.

"This is a tragic incident and anyone who has information should get in touch with us as soon as possible. Anyone with any concerns should speak with their local officers."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Note to media: Chief Inspector Michael Barton, South Tyneside Area Command, and Senior Investigating Officer, DCI Paul Young, are available to speak to the media this morning, before noon, contact the press office on 01661 868888 to arrange.

22/12/12 3.17am

At 10:36pm on Friday, December 21, police received a report of a stabbing in South Shields.

Officers attended the scene which was at the junction of Stanhope Road and Boldon Lane.

A man was found in the street with stab wounds.

He was taken to South Tyneside Hospital where he was declared dead.

A murder investigation has been launched.

It appears that the victim, a 25-year-old local man, was walking along Stanhope Road when he was confronted by two men who attacked him before running off.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191.

Provide feedback on this item